Peri Peri sweet and sour chicken is a quick recipe that can be made at home easily. The juicy chicken breast pieces, mixed with the spiciness of Peri Peri sauce and the sweet and tangy flavors of pineapple juice, can effortlessly please the taste buds of the spice as well as sweet and sour recipe lovers. Using the High on Chicken Peri Peri sauce is recommended to get the perfect Peri Peri flavor and taste for this recipe.
- 500g chicken breast
- Vegetable oil
- Two red onions
- Two red peppers
- High on Chicken Peri Peri sauce
- 500ml pineapple juice
Recipe for the Peri Peri sweet and sour chicken using the High on Chicken Peri Peri sauce
Preparation and ideal cooking time: 25 to 30 minutes
Serving size: Can easily serve up to 5 people
- Cut the chicken breast into small 1cm slices.
- Heat oil in a frying pan.
- Put the sliced chicken pieces into the hot oil.
- Stir fry the small chicken slices until they turn brown.
- Making the tomato puree:
- While the chicken is cooking, start preparing to make tomato puree from your tomatoes.
- Rinse the tomatoes with water.
- Make a ½-inch criss-cross cut on the base of the tomatoes using a knife.
- Fill a pot with water and then heat it.
- Add a pinch of salt to it, depending upon the number of tomatoes that are being used.
- Let the water boil.
- When it starts boiling, carefully place the tomatoes in it.
- Let them boil for 3 minutes and then turn off the heat.
- Keep the tomatoes immersed in this hot water for 10-15 minutes.
- Transfer these tomatoes to a bowl filled with chilled water and let them soak for a while until the peel starts to come off.
- Take them out of the water and peel the tomatoes.
- Dice the peeled tomatoes into small pieces.
- Add these diced pieces to a blender.
- Blend them until they become a thick, smooth paste.
- Place a bowl beneath a juice strainer and pour this tomato paste into the strainer.
- While straining, stir and press this paste so that all the puree and pulp are strained down, ensuring that only the seeds are left in the strainer.
- Your smooth tomato puree is ready.
- Take the red onions and cut them into wedges.
- Cut the red peppers into small slices.
- Add the sliced onion and pepper to the chicken breast pieces that had turned brown.
- Sprinkle salt as per your taste to it.
- Cook this for a while until they soften a bit.
- Take a separate bowl and add tomato puree, the High on Chicken Peri Peri sauce, and pineapple juice.
- Mix them thoroughly for a while.
- Add this mixture of tomato puree, pineapple juice, and High on Chicken Peri Peri sauce to the cooked chicken and vegetables.
- Mix these and cook together for 5 minutes.
- Your Peri Peri sweet and sour chicken is ready.
- Serve it in a utensil with rice or noodles.
Is it necessary to use homemade tomato puree?
No. one can also use the readymade tomato purees available in the market if they are lacking time. But it is recommended to make this puree at home as it is much healthier and tastier than the store-packed ready-to-cook ones.
Why is the Peri Peri flavor so popular?
Peri Peri sauce made from the African bird’s eye chilis mashed and fermented under the hot sun, mixed with garlic and tangy flavors of lemon, is a super delicious delicacy that can go with any recipe and is highly versatile. It makes your dish full of taste and rich in authentic flavors in an instant. The High on Chicken Peri Peri sauce is a good option as a sauce as it is made traditionally and is the perfect mix of spicy and tangy flavors.
This recipe can be cooked easily and healthily at home in less time. It can serve as the perfect lunch or dinner treat that can satisfy your taste cravings as well as hunger. The pineapple juice gives the sweet and sour fruity touch while the High on Chicken Peri Peri sauce gives the fiery spicy and hot taste to the dish. One can eat this dish on its own or as a side delicacy with brown or white rice and noodles for a more filling meal.