Do you know your favorite pub has a history turned facts? Yes, you read it right. As much as you love the drinks and food here, you are sure to love these facts as well. After all, it’s always interesting to know how today’s popular spots came into being. So read on to get your pub facts right:
- A Pub in Northern Canada serves whiskey with a frostbitten toe in the glass. The frostbitten toe must “merely grace the lips” and is not meant to be swallowed. Also, if any drinker swallows the toe, they have to pay a penalty of $500.
- Canada’s George Street in St. John’s, Newfoundland is known to have the most pubs per square foot of any street in North America.
- In many countries of the world, the Pub crawl is known as “Bohemian Death March”.
- Do you remember Hitler’s “Eagles Nest’ on the summit of Kehlstein Mountain? Yes! Today that Eagles Nest is designed as a restaurant and outdoor pub.
- There were many Irish bars around the globe that included a small private room known as a “snug”, where police, priests, and other religious preachers were able to drink free of cost.
- Guinness Breweries initially published Guinness Book of Records as a reference document for settling pub arguments.
- In many counties, placing your empty glass upside down on the counter at a pub indicates that you can fight against everyone in the pub and win the argument as well.
- Do you think that you visit pubs very often? So, let us tell you that Bruce Masters holds the world record for visiting the highest number of pubs visited across the UK. His record has not yet been challenged by anyone to date.
- The staff of the Irish pub in Dublin went on strike in 1939; the strike lasted for more than 14 years and 9 months.
- An Ireland-based pub regularly offers free beverages to the people who don’t use their phones.
So these are some interesting facts that have pushed the popularity of pubs to another level.
Feeling like going to a pub? Well, here’s Mad hatter Montreal, an ultimate place for your friends and family that features a wide range of classic beverage and delicious food amidst its contemporary environment with a perfect mix of fun, entertainment, music, and much more.