Winter calls for pickles that tickle the taste buds and make for a great meal companion as well. India has a wide variety of pickles, but winter brings with it some seasonal vegetables. This Punjabi pickle has a strong spicy flavour and uses the seasonal favourite – Carrots. It is popularly known as Gajar and Shalgum ka Achar. But what makes this pickle burst with flavour is the mustard oil that goes into making it. You need one that is pure and pungent. Fortune Kachi Ghani Pure Mustard Oil has a strong aroma and pungency that can spice up your pickles.
This pickle recipe can last you through the year and if made with Fortune Kachi Ghani Pure Mustard Oil, it can have a host of benefits too. Since the oil is pure, it retains all its natural properties and mustard seed benefits. It is traditionally extracted from the first press of mustard seeds which gives it a high pungency level. It wards off indigestions and keeps your pickle fresh for longer.
- 400 gm Carrot
- 500 gm Radish
- 150 gm Green Chillies
- 2 tbsp Red Chilli Powder
- 3.5 tbsp Mustard Seeds
- 2 tbsp Fennel Seeds
- 1/3 tbsp Asafoetida
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 3 tsp Salt or as per taste
- 3/4 cup Fortune Kachi Ghani Pure Mustard Oil
- Cut the carrots and radish into thick slices after washing and peeling.
- After washing the green chillies, slit them from the centre into 2 pieces.
- Dry roast all the seeds on low heat for just about a minute. Coarsely grind them and allow it to cool completely.
- Add the spice mix to the vegetables. Also, add in the other spices listed above and salt. Mix well.
- Time to add in the Fortune Kachi Ghani Pure Mustard Oil. Once added, mix well and then transfer into an airtight glass or mason jar.
- Leave the jar in full sunlight for about four days.
- You can then start consuming it with paratha, roti or as a side dish with your meals.
You can add cauliflower to this pickle as well. Always use a dry spoon to scoop out the pickle. Remember, older the pickle gets, the better it will taste. Enjoy this easy to make pickle with the pure, pungent taste of Fortune Kachi Ghani Pure Mustard Oil.